Education and training
Breakdown of postgraduate students and postdoctoral fellows in the CBTBR in 2012
||Target based on SLA4 (for Performing Phase, 2009-2012)
|Total number of students
|% Postdoctoral fellows
|% PhD students
|% MSc students
|% BSc (Hons) students
|% Women students
|% Black students
Degrees conferred and postdoctoral fellowships completed
The CBTBR graduated 2 postdoctoral fellows, 8 PhD, 7 MSc, and 9 Honours students in 2012.
Dissertations and theses
- Moosa A. Molecular mechanisms of transport and metabolism of vitamin B12 in mycobacteria. Supervisorer: D Warner. Co-supervisor: V Mizrahi
- Kleynhans L. The impact of the steroid hormones medroxyprogesterone acetate, cortisol and progesterone on protective immunity to tuberculosis. Promoter: G Walzl
- Du Plessis N. The impact of Nippostrongylus Brasiliensis infection on host immune responses and susceptibility to Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a murine co-infection model. Promoter: G Walzl
- Ngwane A. Elucidation of the mechanism of action of a furanone based compound (F1082). Promoter: I Wiid, Co-Promoter: PD van Helden
- Bruiners N. Investigating the Human M. tuberculosis interactome to identify the host targets of ESAT-6 and other mycobacterial antigens. Promoter: NC Gey van Pittius, Co-Promoter: RM Warren
- Van der Merwe R. Development of a novel fluorescent-marker phage technology system for the early diagnosis of tuberculosis disease. Promoter: RM Warren
- Werely CJ. Pharmacogenetics of Arylamine N-acetyltransferase genes in South African populations. Promoter: PD van Helden
- Botha MM. Regulators of dormancy/viability of Mycobacterium tuberculosis inside the human macrophages. Promoter: I Wiid
- Axcell A. Genotypic and phenotypic heterogeneity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis recovered from patients with drug-resistant pulmonary tuberculosis. Promoter: B. Kana
- Mapela L. Characterization of Resuscitation Promoting Factors in Mycobacterium smegmatis. Promoter: B. Kana
- Black P. Identification of genes regulating the expression of the atpBEFHAGDC operon in response to rifampicin in multi-drug resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains. Promoter: TC Victor
- Grobbelaar M. Adaptation of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis transcriptome in response to rifampicin. Promoter: TC Victor
- Lucas L. Toll‐like receptor genes and their pathway: role in susceptibility to pulmonary tuberculosis in a South African population. Promoter: E Hoal
- Wagman C. Genetic studies on susceptibility to pulmonary tuberculosis mediated by MARCO, SP-D and CD14: molecules affecting uptake of Mycobacterium tuberculosis into macrophages. Promoter: E Hoal
- Steyn N. Investigating the localisation of the ESX-3 secretion system in Mycobacterium smegmatis. Promoter: NC Gey van Pittius, Co-Promotor: RM Warren
Research interns (MRC sponsored)
- Ms P Seepe (Research Intern) Registered for 2nd year of PhD degree in 2012
Recruitment of new postgraduate students
A number of new students have joined the team already or will do so during the course of 2013. Applications from other students are under consideration, pending availability of supervisory capacity, laboratory and office space and/or funding, including bursary support (see above). At the SU node, we enrolled 4 Postdoctoral fellows, 6 PhD, 5 MSc and 8 Honours students into the CBTBR in 2012. At the UCT node 1 Postdoctoral fellow, 1 PhD students and one Honours student were recruited. At the Wits node 1 Postdoctoral fellow and 1 MSc student were recruited in 2012.
Honours and awards to students
- Dr Christopher Ealand, Ms Farzanah Hassim, Ms Nabiela Moola, and Mr Sibusiso Senzani were all invited to give oral presentations at the MRC Early Career Scientists Conference 2012, 24th – 25th October 2012. Ms Moola and Mr Senzani both won first and second prize respectively for best oral presentation by an MSc student.
- Mr Sibusiso Senzani was invited to give an oral presentation at the DST/NRF Centre of Excellence Director’s Forum. Sanlam Centre, Pretoria, South Africa. 13th November 2012
- Mr Sibusiso Senzani received a scare skills MSc bursary from the NRF. Ms Rukaya Asmal, Ms Farzanah Hassim and Ms Nabiela Moola received MSc bursaries from the NRF. Mr Germar Beukes, Ms Rukaya Asmal, Ms Farzanah Hassim and Ms Nabiela Moola received the postgraduate merit award from Wits University
- Dr Christopher Ealand was awarded a CAPRISA postdoctoral scholarship for partial salary funding.
- MSc students, Ms Lusanda Mapela and Ms Amanda Axcell both graduated with distinction.
- Dr. Monique Williams was awarded a Columbia University-Southern African Fogarty AITRP Traineeship and a PHRI-AURUM-Global Infectious Diseases Research Fogarty Traineeship which enabled her to undertake 6 months of postdoctoral training in TB basic sciences in the laboratory of Dr. Gilla Kaplan at the PHRI at UMDNJ (New Jersey).
- Dr. Vinayak Singh was awarded a Keystone Symposia Global Health Travel Award to attend the Keystone Symposium on Tuberculosis: Understanding the Enemy, to be held at Keystone Resort, British Columbia, Canada, in March 2013.
- Ms. Anastasia Koch received the Benfara Scholarship from UCT and a DAAD-NRF Joint Scholarship; Ms. Krupa Naran was awarded a scholarship from the Ernst and Ethel Eriksen Trust, a UCT Equity Scholarship and a DAAD-NRF Joint Scholarship; Ms. Zanele Ditse was awarded the Marion Beatrice Waddel Scholarship, an Equity Scholarship from UCT and a DAAD/NRF Joint Scholarship.
- CBTBR students from all three nodes received various scholarships and travel grants in 2012
- Mrs M. Klopper, received the L'Oréal-UNESCO Regional Bursary for Women in Science Fellowship Sub-Saharan Africa, 2012
- Mrs M. Klopper, was awarded a SACEMA PhD bursary, 2012
- Mr. M Salie and Miss M. Grobbelaar were awarded MRC PhD Bursaries, 2012
- Dr E Streicher, Dr G. Louw, Mrs M de Vos, Miss M. Grobbelaar, Ms. P Black were awarded the Bill and Melinda Gates Global Health Travel grant (Keystone Symposium: E1, Drug Resistance and Persistence in Tuberculosis, Kampala, Uganda, May 2012)
- Mrs M. de Vos, awarded a NRF scarce skills Doctoral Fellowship: Stellenbosch University Postgraduate Merit bursary, 2012
- Mr M. Salie, DAAD-NRF Joint In-Country Doctoral Scholarship, 2012
- Mr M. Salie, Miss J. du Plessis and Ms A Dippenaar were awarded Harry Crossley Funding, 2012
- Mr M. Salie, EMBL Travel Grant and Registration Fee Waiver, 2012
- Miss J. du Plessis, received a SU Postgraduate Merit Bursary, 2012
- Miss J. du Plessis, was awarded the UMDNJ Global Infectious Diseases Scholarship, 2012
- Mr A. Viljoen and Mrs C. de Villiers were awarded DAAD-NRF Scholarships for PhD, 2012
- Mr M. Salie, Ms A. Dippenaar were awarded International Office Overseas Conference Grants, 2012
- Ms. M. Daya, received a full fee scholarship (17th Summer Institute in Statistical Genetics (SISG) for 3 modules: Bayesian Statistics for Genetics, MCMS for Genetics, Mixed Models in Quantitative Genetics), 2012
- Mr. M. Salie, received the SU-FMHS Scientific Travel-Scientific Visit grant (Stanford University)
- Miss S. Fortuin, received the MRC PhD Internship, 2012
- Miss S. Fortuin, received the Pasteur Institute travel award (Proteomics and drug design Course, Tunisia), 2012
- Miss S. Fortuin, was awarded Welcome trust travel award (6th Annual Directors meeting, Ghana), 2012
- Ms. N. Le Roex, Finalist in the Popular Science Article category at the New Voices in Science colloquium, Stellenbosch University, December 2012.
- Dr A Loxton, received the SU Scientific Travel Award (AIDS 2012 meeting, Washington, USA), 2012
- Dr A Loxton, obtained the ERS International travel award Vienna, Austria, September 2012
Hosting of international exchange students
Mr. Felanji Simukonda (Karonga Prevention Study (KPS), in Malawi), Mrs. Anna-Ritah Namuganga (Uganda - Case Western Reserve Collaboration Immunology Laboratories at the Joint Clinical Research Centre, Makerere University) visited the SUN-IRG unit for training on laboratory procedures and conduction of specialized experiments on a collaborative biomarker research project, the African European Tuberculosis Consortium (AE-TBC) study in 2012.
Molecular Epidemiology Course
Prof. Rob Warren ran PCR training courses in 2012 and trainees included Gershvin Arries, Xavier Kayigire, Bayanika Manunu from CCTR and for postgraduate students at the Honours level from the faculty of Health Sciences. All participants had hands-on experience for the extraction of DNA from Mycobacteria tuberculosis, restriction enzyme digests, southern blotting, probe labelling and hybridisation. The course equipped all participants with the necessary skill to enable them to perform PCR.
Other Training courses
Ms. Amour Venter also conducted initiation training for the laboratory personnel involved with clinical drug trials on the following protocols:
- TB Alliance protocol number NC-002-(M-Pa-Z); 06 March 2012
- Protocol TBTC Study 29X; 06 March 2012
- TB Alliance protocol number NC-003-(C-J-Pa-Z); 11 September 2012
- AstraZeneca protocol DMID 11-0006; 08 November 2012
- Prof G van der Spuy presented on CRF design and data capture a workshop in Windhoek, July 2012.
- Prof G Walzl presented a workshop on Laboratory accreditation in Windhoek, July 2012.
- Prof G van der Spuy Presented 'Data Management - Principles & Practice' module at the Faculty of Medicine and & Health Sciences Workshop 'Project Management for the Research Team' on 28 August 2012 held at Tygerberg Campus.
Training courses attended by staff and students
|Advanced TB Research course, 06-09 March 2012, at the UCT Lung Institute
||Dr N. Chegou, Mr P. Essone Ndong
|Proteomics & drugs design Course, Institute Pasteur, Tunis, 20-24 March 2012
||Ms. S. Fortuin
|‘GCP for the Research Team’ Course, Tygerberg Campus, Stellenbosch University, 26-27 January 2012
||Drs A. Loxton, M. Kriel, N. Chegou, L. Kleynhans, N. du Plessis, Mrs L. Muller, Ms K.Stanley
|SAMU/MSF DR-TB Workshop. Title: Drug resistant TB and genetic mutations
||Dr. EM Streicher
|Secretary course on 24 April 2012 held in Rondebosch
||Ms L Vos
|Performance Management Workshop on 17 April 2012 at Devon Valley, hosted by Stellenbosch University
||Mrs L Muller, Dr D. Kriel
|Basic isiXhosa course, Masazane 1, 14 Feb-19 April 2012, Tygerberg Campus
||Mrs S. Mcanda, Prof. I. Wiid
|Grant Writing Course, STIAS, Stellenbosch, 18 April 2012
||Dr N. Du Plessis
|Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics Course during 18th-25th April 2012, at University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
||Mr. KK Siame
|HR: Building effective Relationships 11-12 of June hosted by human resources of Stellenbosch University at Lancerac Manor
||Dr. K. Ronacher-Mansvelt
|GCP course, Tygerberg Campus, Stellenbosch University, 14-15 June.
||Dr. K. Ronacher-Mansvelt
|Helping students to avoid plagiarism and use Harvard referencing correctly on 30 May 2012 at SU Language Centre
||Ms G Durrheim
|Hain Lifescience SA (Pty) Ltd Mini Symposium, Vineyard Hotel and Spa, Newlands, Cape town. 24 May 2012
||Dr E Streicher
|The Keystone Symposia on Drug Resistance and Persistence in Tuberculosis on 13-18 May 2012 held at Kampala, Uganda.
||Ms PA Black
|Keystone Symposia on Drug Resistance and Persistence in Tuberculosis, Kampala, Uganda, 13-18 May 2012
||Drs E. Streicher, G. Louw, A. Ngwane, Ms M. Grobbelaar, Mrs M. de Vos
|Population Genetics workshop hosted by UCT, 4-8 June 2012
||Drs. M. Moller, M. Daya & N. Roetz
|Partek workshop Workshop (Next Generation Sequencing and Microarray Data Analysis), SANBI, UWC, 23-27 July 2012
||Ms P. Black, Ms M. Grobbelaar, Mr. M Salie
|Workshop in Windhoek, Various topics related to consortium studies, July 2012
||Profs G. van der Spuy, G. Walzl, Dr M. Kriel, Ms. K. Stanley
|New Voices in Science: Writing Workshop, Stellenbosch Univ, 4 September 2012
||Mr. M Salie
|New Voices in Science: Science Communication Workshop, Stellenbosch Campus, 11 June 2012
||Ms. N. le Roex
|17th Summer Institute in Statistical Genetics (SISG), Seattle, USA, 9th-20th July
||Ms. M. Daya
|Mass spectrometry based Proteomics workshop, Tygerberg Campus, Stellenbosch University,11 July 2012
||Mr RD Pietersen, Ms. A. Dippenaar, L. Vos
|Two-week course entitled, “Introduction to statistics and its applications in Biology (level II)” from 9-20 July 2012 at SACEMA, Stellenbosch
||Dr. N. Chegou
|SASBMB/FASBMB Congress 2012 in the Drakensberg, from 29 Jan - 1 Feb 2012.
||Mr P Essone Ndong
|Advanced TB Diagnostic research course at UCT Lung Institute, 6-9 March 2012
||Mr P Essone Ndong
|Workshop hosted by the Dept Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Cape Town & the Centre for Proteomic and Genomic Research, 19-21 September 2012
||Ms L. Vos,
Ms M. McGrath
|Seminar on the UniProt and Tuberculist databases, UCT, 1-2 November 2012
||Ms M. McGrath
|Web seminar on the PATRIC website presented by the PATRIC website organisation, 27-30 Nov 2012.
||Ms L. Vos, M. McGrath
|Workshop in scientific writing skills for theses, 22-23 August 2012
||Ms M. McGrath,
|Workshop in scientific writing skills for academic articles,28-29 August 2012
||Ms M. McGrath,
|ARESA (Advanced Research Ethics Training in Southern Africa) seminar, Newlands, Cape Town, 30-31 August 2012
||Dr. M. Moller, Mr. M. Salie, Prof E. Hoal
|DAIDS Good Clinical Laboratory Practise Training Course, Johannesburg, 28–30 August 2012
|EMBO Proteomics bioinformatics course: Computational Biology: from genomes to cells and systems, Girona, Spain, 14-20 October 2012
||Ms A Dippenaar
|Novartis Next Generation Scientist in Basel, Switzerland from 01 June-31 August 2012
||Dr A Ngwane
|Microbiome Master Class, IIDMM, UCT, October 2012
||Ms A Koch
|Novartis Next Generation of Scientist 2011 and 2012 reunion, KZN University, Durban, 28-30 November 2012
||Dr A Ngwane
|Workshop in scientific writing skills for academic articles. 28-29 August 2012. Stellenbosch University
||Dr M de Vos
Staff members studying for higher degrees (all registered at SU)
- Cedric Werely (PGWC) completed his doctoral degree, working on Arylamine N-acetyltransferase genes in Tuberculosis to study the influence of host genetics on disease susceptibility.
Other capacity development activities
- Prof. Warren presented two lectures in the MBChB module on Infections and Clinical Immunology in 2012. Title: Molecular Epidemiology of Drug Resistant TB in South Africa.
- Dr. Warner (organiser), Prof. Mizrahi and Dr. Evans lectured in the Bacterial Pathogenesis module of the Infectious Diseases and Immunology Honours course, UCT, 2012
- Dr. Warner lectured on the Medical Microbiology component of intercalated MBChB programme, UCT Faculty of Health Sciences
- Dr. Kana lectured in the Molecular Medicine and Hematology Honours program in the School of Pathology.
- Dr Gordhan and Dr Kana ran a gene cloning course for Honours students in the School of Pathology
- Dr Kana lectured in the Human Genetics Honours program at Wits University.
- Dr Kana lectured in the Postdoctoral Forum in the Faculty of Health Sciences.
- Prof. Peter Schwartz and Dr. Massimiliano Gnecchi of the University of Pavia, Italy, for purposes of establishing a new cell culture technique for collaborative study on LQT syndrome, 29-February 2012
- Dr. Clif Barry (NIH), Dr. Jelle Thole (Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative) visited the SU node for an evaluation visit from the SA Accreditation System (SANAS) and was recommended for Accreditation by the assessors, 01 March 2012
- Dr. Nazir Ismail (NICD), Discussions on collaboration, 2012
- Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu (NICD), Discussions on collaboration,2012
- Dr. Johan van Heerden (NHLS), Discussions on collaboration,2012
- Dr. Karen Jacobson (Harvard), Discussions on collaboration, 2012
- Dr. Bernd Eisle and Dr. Ankita Minhas (Vakzine Project Management (VPM) Germany), for the ongoing phase IIa TB vaccine trial, 17 April 2012
- Prof. Kevin Fennelly (University of Florida), setting up the Andersen impactor to measure transmissibility of TB cases, 23-25 April 2012
- Prof. D.R. Sherman (Seattle Biomedical Research Institute), student exchange, 22-February 2012
- Dr. Annette Roug (PhD candidate in wildlife epidemiology at University of California, Davis, USA), to evaluate an RT-PCR assay for screening African buffalo faeces for M. bovis, August 2012
- Drs. Akin Jenkins & Calvin Gomo (Veterinary Faculty, University of Pretoria), Performed diagnostic screening for bovine tuberculosis in dairy cattle in Western Cape herds, September 2012
- Dr. Jelle Thole and the TB Vaccine Initiative (TBVI) visited the CBTBR SU node on 25 October 2012
- EDCTP – High Level delegation visited the CBTBR SU node on 05 November 2012
- The UCT node hosted many visitors in 2012, including Drs. Eric Rubin (Harvard), Dr. David Sherman (Seattle Biomed), Dr. David Russell (Cornell), Dr. Clif Barry and Dr. Helena Boshoff (NIAID), Prof. Stewart Cole (EPFL)
- Dr C de Chastellier (INSERM, France), Dr Y Lemmer (CSIR) and Prof J Verschoor (Univ. Of Pretoria) – visited for discussions on EM and Nanoparticle technology, December 2012
- Dr. Bavesh Kana visited K-RITH for collaborative discussions, May 2012
- Dr. Bavesh Kana visited Prof. Michael Barer at the University of Leicester for collaborative discussions, 2012
- Dr. Bavesh Kana visited Dr. Neeraj Dhar, EPFL, Switzerland for collaborative discussions, September 2012
- Dr. Williams was awarded a CU-SA Fogarty Fellowship to train in Dr. Kaplan’s laboratory in 2012. Also in 2012, Dr Williams spent three weeks at the Wits node to conduct lipid analyses on mycobacterial strains.
- Mr. Andile Ngwane visited Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in Basel, Switzerland, for the Novartis Next Generation of Scientist Programme, 01 June- 31 August 2012
- Ms. Natalie Bruiners visited the Public Health Research Institute, New Jersey, for research training, June-Dec 2012
- Ms. Philippa Black visited Prof. Christopher Sassetti's lab in Worcester, USA to receive training in molecular techniques such as transposon mutagenesis and DNA library preparation. 1-31 October 2012.
- Ms. Margaretha de Vos visited Prof. Larry Wangh's lab at Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, USA to receive training in LATE-PCR and Lights-on/lights-off probes techniques. 15 October - 1 November 2012
- Ms. Juanelle du Plessis visited Prof. David Sherman's lab in Seattle, USA to receive microarray and data analysis training. 01 July - 31 October 2012
- Mr. Muneeb Salie visited Prof Carlos Bustamante/Dr Brenna Henn Lab, Stanford University, USA, for training in software for statistical analysis of population admixture and next-gen sequencing, 12 October – 2 November 2012
International Conferences Organised (2)
- Bovine Tuberculosis Conference, Skukuza, Pretoria, South Africa September 2012
- Prof. Paul van Helden was part of the organising committee for this conference.
- 3rd SA TB Conference, Durban, South Africa, 12-15 June 2012
- Dr Bavesh Kana was part of the organising committee for this conference and chaired the Basic Sciences Track.